Wednesday 9 March 2011

To be remembered

I have tracked down a third WW1 casualty from Lewis who is not recognised by CWGC but should be. My contact with the IFCP (In From the Cold Project) sounded very enthusiastic when I flagged this up, and I shall be ordering a death certificate or the man's service record for confirmation. This has to come from New Zealand, but thanks to the Internet that is no problem whatsoever. Although the process takes several months, I am looking forward to announcing that the man, described below, will be coming in from the cold as well.

Lance Corporal ANGUS MACIVER
Aonghas, Mac Aoinghais Mhic Ruairidh Mhic Mhurchaidh Oig
Last address in Lewis: 25 North Tolsta,
Service unit: New Zealanders
Service number: 49644
Date of death: 1916 at the age of 36
Local memorial: North Tolsta
Served in Gallipoli. Invalided to New Zealand and died there

No comments:

Post a Comment