Saturday 5 March 2011

Roll of Honour

Over the four years that I have been working on the listings of Lewis-born casualties from the Great War, I have reached the conclusion that Loyal Lewis Roll of Honour 1914-1918 is a valuable document; but not as reliable as made out by some. Another example emerged today, in the shape of the information on Robert Stewart, late of 4 Scotland Street, Stornoway. His date of death is listed as 16 February 1915; but all the available information points to a Robert Stewart who died of wounds on 24 November 1914. I could publish a list of discrepancies between the Roll of Honour and my findings, but that would not serve much useful purpose. Neither am I claiming that my publication, Faces from the Lewis War Memorial, is devoid of errors. I would like to think though that I am working to eliminate as many errors as possible using whatever sources come to hand.

Private ROBERT STEWART
Last address in Lewis: 4 Scotland Street, Stornoway
Brother of Mrs. Annie MacKay, of 82, North Watson St., Glasgow. Son of Alexander and Christina Stewart of 2 Holm or Garden Road, Stornoway
Service unit: 1st Seaforth Highlanders
Service number: 3/7057
Date of death: 24 November 1914 at the age of 18
Died of wounds
Local memorial: Lewis War Memorial; Nicolson WW1 memorial, right panel
Was called up at the start of the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment