Wednesday 23 February 2011

Now remembered

This afternoon, I came across a new name for the list of casualties from the First World War, originating from the Isle of Lewis. This brings the total to 1,294. Murdo Morrison is listed as 'Morrion' in some files, and I have as yet been unable to trace his service record. I am currently round the Needle & Haystack, and am likely to be a while. Meanwhile, I am pleased to highlight his entry on Faces from the Lewis War Memorial. He does not feature on any of the island war memorials; I have not found any reference to him in any of the West Side graveyards and he is only remembered on the Arras Memorial in northern France. And now on my wee website.

Private MURDO MORRISON
 Last address in Lewis: 6 Borve
Son of Angus and Mary Morrison, of 6, Borve, Barvas, Stornoway.
Service unit: 6th Seaforth Highlanders
Service number: 267468
Date of death: 12 May 1917 at the age of 38
Killed in action
Memorial: Arras Memorial, bay 8

No comments:

Post a Comment